You find that there is a lot of negative opinions and stories when it comes to having an ostomy bag whether that is an ileostomy or colostomy.
The thought of having the surgery is extremely scary and when you’re put in the position of potentially having one or you wake up from an emergency surgery with one, all you can think about is every negative aspect of life with a bag.
But here are 9 reasons why having an ostomy bag is totally awesome!
1. Well obviously we can go to the toilet where ever we want literally where ever. At a work meeting, on a date, yep I’m going right at this moment!
2. You never have to worry about blocking the toilet at a friends house… nobody wants that.
3. You literally have the cleanest asshole ever. It’s not in use so it’s squeaky clean and we can actually see where we poo from now so everything’s always clean.
4. After more than likely not being able to eat what you wanted before surgery, you now can…to an extent of course! Pizza finally doesn’t upset my stomach, woo!
5. Having a bag gives you an excuse to get out of those annoying situations you don’t want to be part of: ‘Sorry I can’t come today my bags playing up’. I promise I’ve never used that excuse. Honest.
6. You never have to worry about having an accident and keeping a clean pair of underwear on you. ‘Oh god I think I’ve followed through’ is something you never have to worry about again.
7. For us females it’s clearly an ‘excuse’ to get away with wearing high waisted knickers, super comfy and makes us look good at the same time where as before surgery most of us wouldn’t have even thought about the high waisted underwear or jeans!
8. Some of us have found we actually get more intoxicated because of our bags… Maybe the alcohol absorbs differently.. But who cares… CHEAP NIGHT OUT FOR US!
9. There is such a huge online support network that you make friends and meet different ostomates… It actually gives you a better social life online and in reality because we are not stuck in scared of having an accident or being ill.
Life with a bag isn’t as bad as it sounds eh?
Words by Danielle McCormack