Inflammatory bowel disease is a term mainly used to describe Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis – two long-term conditions that involve inflammation of the gut.
Any person of any age can be affected – and it currently affects more than 300,000 people in the UK.
Symptoms such as stomach cramping, bleeding, diarrhoea, weight loss and fatigue are lingering symptoms of both illnesses – with both holding the possibility of surgery.
But as a sufferer of ulcerative colitis, I’ve found myself becoming annoyed by more than just the pain that comes with it.
There are many things socially that can become almost unbearable when you have IBD – and below, we’ve produced a list of some of these things all accompanied by a gif that expresses my emotions better than words ever could.
Here are 13 gifs you’ll totally relate to if you have Inflammatory bowel disease.
1. When your stomach’s cramping and making loud noises and you’re just there like:
2. When you’ve eaten one slice of pizza but the bloating makes you look 5 months pregnant:
3. When you can’t decide whether or not to take Immodium before leaving the house:
4. When your GP prescribes you Prednisolone:
5. When you need to use a disabled toilet but know you’re going to get shouted at by healthy people:
6. When you use a disabled toilet and nobody knocks on the door:
7. When someone has a go at you for using anything for disabled needs:
8. When you have to convince people you really do have an invisible illness:
9. When someone asks: ‘Oh, is that the one where you poo a lot?’
10. When people tell you that Juice Plus is going to cure your IBD:
11. When someone you haven’t spoken to in years suggests you ‘look fine’:
12. When your GP confuses your IBD with IBS:
13. When someone says: ‘I know how you feel, I have IBS!’
Words by Hattie Gladwell