Having surgery to form a stoma can be hard-hitting on even the strongest of people.
For those who are unaware, a stoma is a part of your bowel that is brought out of your abdomen, and releases waste into an ostomy bag which is placed over the stoma daily.
There are many reasons for needing a stoma, be that a perforated bowel, bowel cancer or commonly, inflammatory bowel disease.
The changes that take place on your body after ostomy surgery are phenomenal – being that should you have lived with debiliating symptoms because of your illness, you will begin to feel much better.
But of course, it does take some time to get used to having the bag and for some, to accept it. For some, a visible change on the body is hard to accept. And it can really affect for body confidence.
Women may worry that they’re not attractive any more or that they will struggle to find anything comfortable to wear – but this is simply not the case.
Which is exactly why we’ve compiled a list for the ladies with an ostomy, on things that are absolutely amazing to wear when you have a stoma.
1. High waisted ANYTHING is a god send when you have an ostomy bag, whether it’s high waisted underwear to high waisted jeans! It smooths your tummy down and makes things a lot more comfortable.
2. Waistbands are a must-have when you have an ostomy bag as they hold you in all the right places and smooth the bag down. They’re also great for preventing hernias.
3. Peplum or wrap dresses for special occasions flatter the tummy area and hide your bag Incase you’re worried of wind in the bag or it showing. Basically – if you need a stunning disguise, this is it!
4. A trend that never really goes out of style is the ‘ruched’ style tops and dresses as they’re slimming. The way the material falls means that your bag is perfectly hidden.
5. Stoma bag covers are amazing as they make you feel that little bit more confident with a bag. Stoma covers are covers that go onto the bag to cover the contents of the bag showing or just the nude bag itself. You can go all out with a wacky pattern or stay minimalist with just one colour. If you can’t find someone who makes them on social media or personally you could always try and make them yourself!
6. Everyone is different but if you’re not comfortable with wearing jeans and having the button there annoying you, jeggings are the best alternative to jeans. Super comfy with an elasticated waist for that extra comfort.
7. When swimming, tankinis are very flattering – but if you’re into the full swimsuit a ruched style swimsuit or a wrap style is great. If you’re confident with wearing a bikini and having your bag on show then that’s amazing – but you can also always get lovely high waisted bikinis if not.
8. Accessory wise if I have somewhere nice to go I love using a clutch style handbag as I like to hold it over my bag and by my waist especially when wearing a tighter outfit.
Words by Danielle McCormack